Monday, December 5, 2011

Those Nightly Dishes- A Solution

I've discovered that my biggest difficulty in this challenge is getting the sink cleaned before bed every night. Tidying up is fine and manageable, but too many times I am leaving the dishes in the sink and because of that, not "meeting the requirements" because I don't want to get my hands all cold and wet right before sleeping. Which almost makes me feel like there's no point tidying up, because I anyhow won't meet the specifications I set out for myself.
The reason I wanted clean sinks before bed is because I know I tend to let dishes build up and I don't want it to get as bad as it used to be.
But I don't want to set myself unreasonable goals, and I'm noticing that washing the dishes before bed every night is an unreasonable goal.
So, I decided that as long as the sink is clean of dishes by 9 am (by which point it is both supper and breakfast dishes), I will have gotten full points for the previous day (provided the place was tidied before bed).

Flexibility, and keeping the house in a state of relative tidiness at all times is the goal here, not rigidity and sticking to rules.


My sinks are cleaned now, and I decided I get full points for last night.

1 comment:

  1. We don't always wash the dishes at night either, sometimes I do them after breakfast as well.
    Sometimes we have dinner pretty late and getting the baby bathed and into bed on time is the priority over dishes.
    As long as they are getting done I think it's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete